Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Better Than Amway

The first time it happened to me, I was working at Subway in Atlanta.  I don't know if we necessarily needed the money or not, I just always worked two jobs.  The only time I didn't is when I was in school, but, then, that could be considered the "second job".  Come to think of it, I've pretty much always worked 50 to 80 hours a week.  But, I digress ...
So this guy comes into Subway and orders his sandwich and we chit chat about this and that while I pile on the veggies and squirt the sauce.  As I am making his change, he says, "What are you doing working at Subway, you could be making $3000 a month?" (I know we say, "$5000 a month, part-time" now, but in 1988 or 89, that was some big bucks!)  He hands me a tri-fold brochure, a cassette tape (for you younger folks, that's like an mp3 download that you could pass along to anyone you wanted to as long as they had the right kind of player (which everyone did)), and sets an appointment to meet with me after I get off work the next night.
So, I read his brochure and listen to his tape which tell me how I am undervalued by my current employers and I could be making a lot of money by helping other people make a lot of money.  All I have to do is help some people help some more people help some other people sell some fantastic products and in no time I'll be a millionaire!  We met.  He talked.  I listened.  He asked not less than 7 times, "What is to prevent you from signing up and getting started right now?", and each time I offered an objection, he dispatched it with such ease, it seemed like there could not be any reason in the world why anyone would not drop everything and enthusiastically join the Amway crusade.  He was very, very disappointed when I wouldn't join him.
There are a lot of people with a lot of need.  And, even though they usually think that need is to make more money so they can have more stuff, the real need is to have vital, healthy relationships.  A few of us have managed to find the peace that comes from being okay in our own skin, of knowing our true identity in Christ and our purpose in this world.  Love, peace and joy are ours.  There is no greater treasure.  And yet we hoard this wealth as if sharing it would somehow diminish our portion.  But, then that's the paradox.
The more we work to give it away, the more of it we receive.  We express our love - love increases.  We practice peacemaking - our peace increases.  We bring joy to others - our joy increases.  What a deal!
The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control - What incredible gifts!
I know what I'm getting everybody for Christmas this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment