Tuesday, August 9, 2011

On the Day Dad Died

Up from the nap
Planning, calling.
Outside swinging.
The pecan tree drops a limb on the car.
I swallow a gnat.
A black cat screams, “Meow” as it slinks past.

A breeze picks up.
I circumnavigate this 10 acre world.
The ground here is dirty.
My bare feet are black.
I swallow a gnat.

Inside and up the stairs for a shower
Black water swirls in the bottom of the tub as it heads to the drain
My feet are clean
Comfortable shorts and t-shirt.

Yahtze and Rummy – the Freeman social exchange
Glasses of sweet tea our social lubricant
Sarcastic observation and laughter our social language

Memories of moments 
A breeze picks up and a storm blows in.

In a deep place, healing begins

1 comment:

  1. I remember in high school you wrote poetry that no one would see...you told me after you wrote them...you threw them away. Glad you are sharing....a beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete