Monday, March 16, 2009

When All Else Fails

Faith is such a tricky business.

My God will supply all my needs. I've seen it a dozen times or more. He even provides things that I wouldn't have even thought to ask for myself.

My God is all sufficient. Comfort in crisis, strength in weakness, order in chaos, presence in isolation ... He is more than enough at every point of need.

Why is it so hard to trust that He will continue to be everything He has already demonstrated Himself to be?

Usually it couches itself in "self-doubt". That little gnawing, "I know God is sufficient, but is this His will? What makes me think that I know what I'm doing? If it is His will, why has He not provided for it?" The question becomes, "What is my faith in?"

Is my faith in my understanding of God's purpose? Is it in my ability to discern? Is it in my experience in what God has done in the past or the way Christians do things, the council of Evangelical churches? Or is it simply in God and our relationship together?

What is my faith in? Is my faith in something that is so big it overshadows all self-doubt? Is it in something that is bigger than my knowledge, my understanding or my wisdom? Is my faith bigger than me?

Tricky business, this faith thing!

Lord, increase my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment