Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Xtreme Life

We've been talking about living an Xtreme life at the XPerience. About living a grand adventure that is beyond belief. That life is to be lived every day in an a fit of undying passion. It is not a monotonous journey, trudging between momentary adventurous reprieves, but one continuing adrenalin rush as we encounter God in ever widening circles of wonder and awe. It is about living life with the God who lives in you!

I like the rendering of John 10:10 in the New Living Translation:

The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.


A rich and satisfying life. Is that what you have?

You see, Jesus/God/Heaven/Eternity is not about when you die; it's about now!!

I remember spending hours writhing in agony and torment as I was subjected to convention sings (for those of you who were not "blessed" with a southern gospel heritage, that is an interminable session of people singing seemingly unending songs about how horrible this life is and how great it will be when we die). We journeyed to the Mecca of Southern Gospel Music to attend all not sings with the Gaithers et al on several occasions. I remember when they debuted "I Am A Promise", we left that night at 1am, it was cold and snowing ... the horror ... the horror ...

Anyway, the scars run deep - back to the subject.

There was such an emphasis on life with Christ after we die. It was like Christianity is a suppport group to help us make it through this time and place so we can get to eternity. That's not my understanding.

I am indwelt by the Spirit of God. I am a new creation. I am an ambassador. I am a child of God. I am a conqueror. What part of that leads to a "ho-hum" life?!?

God takes you places you never thought you would go, shows you things you didn't even know existed, allows you to work in areas where you have no ability and brings you to adventure beyond your imagination. If this is not your experience, fight for it! It is as close as your next choice. Do you trust Him?

He used often to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: it's springs were at every doorstep and every path was it's tributary. "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."
The Lord of the Rings
Frodo about his uncle Bilbo Baggins, Chapter 'Three is Company'.


Be swept away off to the places God will lead you.

1 comment:

  1. Why didn't I discover this blog earlier? Oh well, two years after you typed up these words they still have an impact. Funny how God works, I can remember where I was in the journey we refer to as 'life' at the same time this was posted. How incredibly indebted to my savior am I that He would take me from where I was and place me where I am now! Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks for posting this because it is a real encouragement as I seek God. Continue to pray that I allow myself to be swept away by Him, pray that my hunger for Him keeps increasing...

    ReplyDelete