Monday, July 22, 2013

Learning to Trust

Just when I think I've got it figured out, I manage to demonstrate that I don't have a clue.  You'd think that after more than 40 years with God, I would have this trust thing down.  How hard can it be?
I have a whole history of God's faithfulness to me.  I have a strong reasonable basis for my trust in Him.  I have a supportive community that has a similar faith.  I have historic documentation of His faithfulness and sufficiency for many, many others throughout the past ages.  I have many first hand accounts of His intervention on behalf of people I personally know.  What's not to trust?
And yet I still have little things here and there that I need to control...
Maybe I'm good to leave the outcome in His hands as long as He does it my way.  Maybe I can trust Him with the process, but He really needs to stick to the timetable I've established for this particular project.  In subtle ways, I still seek to control outcomes, people, situations and even God.  That's not trust.
Hi, my name is Jim, and I am a recovering selfaholic.
I have discovered that I am powerless over my self-centeredness and my life has become unmanageable.
It's a good thing God's got this.  And I can trust Him with trusting Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment